Gala Cricket Club was founded in 1853 and at that time played in a park near the centre of the town. In the early years the playing membership were mainly made up of mill workers.
The club moved to the current ground, Meigle Park, around 1900. The ground has to be one of the most scenic sporting venues in the country, sitting at the foot of Meigle Hill on the west side of the town, with views looking down the Tweed Valley over the town and on over Melrose to the Eildon Hills.
Gala Cricket Club 1st XI played in the Border League until it was disbanded after the 2011 season. The club then moved into the East of Scotland Cricket Association Leagues in 2012, gaining entry at East League Division 3 level. At the end of the 2016 season, the 1st XI gained promotion to the ESCA Championship following a 3 year stay in Division 1. Our 2nd XI continue to compete in the Border Reserve League under a new format while 2016 also marked an historic occasion for the club after the creation of a new Development team with Hawick and Wilton CC that currently compete in ESCA Division 8, aiming to increase game time and development for younger members of both clubs' squads.
After a few years of neglect the junior section is looking much healthier with six qualified coaches and an increased membership at the club with teams playing at Under 11 and Under 14 age groups. The social cricket scene continues to flourish with other sporting clubs, businesses and pub and club teams battling over available dates to take on the Gala 3rd XI on Friday evening’s throughout the season.
Gala Cricket Club celebrated our 150th Anniversary in 2003 with a players re-union and a match against an SCU Presidents XI which featured Rahul Dravid and Craig Wright playing for the Gala CC XI, two of the special events organised. The highlight of the season however was the opening of the newly refurbished club rooms, with improved facilities for both players and supporters which has impressed all who have visited the club.